Getting appropriate life insurance with a liver disorder is notoriously difficult, especially if your case is severe or if you’ve had the condition for a long time. If you’ve been diagnosed with a liver disorder and you want to protect your family’s future, then Special Risk Managers can help with liver disorder life insurance. We’re Australia’s leading specialists in finding life insurance for those with serious medical conditions like liver diseases and liver disorders.
Whether you’re looking for complete life insurance, TPD insurance, trauma insurance, or income protection insurance, our team will see to it that you find your best options available. Call Special Risk Managers on 1300 665 356 today to talk to one of our life insurance specialists and get started.
Types of Liver Disorders
One of the most difficult things about liver disorders is that there are several types, with each having its own symptoms and complications. In fact, there are over 100 forms of liver disease according to the Canadian Liver Foundation. Some of the forms liver disease can take include:
- Autoimmune Hepatitis – this form of liver disease is characterised by chronic inflammation of the liver
- Cirrhosis – occurs when healthy liver cells are replaced by scar tissue, preventing the normal function of the liver. This is often the final stage of damage in many forms of liver diseases.
- Gilbert’s Syndrome – a liver disorder that often causes jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes) because it impairs the liver’s ability to process bilirubin, the yellow-brown pigment in bile.
- Hepatitis B Virus – a form of hepatitis that can cause cirrhosis, liver cancer, or liver failure. According to Hepatitis Australia, this is also the most common form of liver infection in the world.
- Hepatitis C Virus – a type of hepatitis that causes pain and swelling in the liver
- Liver Cancer – a form of cancer affecting the liver. It can either be primary liver cancer (cancer beginning in the liver) or secondary liver cancer (cancer that began in another part of the body and has spread to the liver).
- Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease – a disease characterised by the deposit of fat in liver cells due to other factors other than excessive alcohol consumption
- Toxic Hepatitis – an inflammation in the liver that’s caused by the liver’s reaction to certain substances
- Wilson’s Disease – a rare liver disorder that causes excessive levels of copper to accumulate in the liver
Life Insurance Complications With Liver Disorders
Given the importance of the liver to the body’s normal function, any condition that affects this vital organ will always concern life insurance providers. Their biggest issue with liver disorder or liver disease is that it’s often associated with other serious medical complications. Cirrhosis, in particular, is a major concern because it’s the final stage of liver damage and the greatest risk factor for liver cancer. Other forms of liver disease, meanwhile, tend to affect the normal function of other parts of the body.
Another issue that many insurance providers have with liver disorders is their unpredictability. Given all the forms that liver disorders can take, it can be difficult predicting long-term health and stability for some applicants. Some forms of liver disorders (such as hepatitis B and C) also seldom show symptoms early on, making them difficult to diagnose and treat in their initial stages.
Although finding the right cover for your condition can be difficult, it’s not impossible. At Special Risk Managers, we’ll help you find your best life insurance options for liver disorders. We’ll explore your different options and find affordable and comprehensive cover according to the severity of your condition. This way, you’re less likely to pay unnecessary premiums and fees.
Call us on 1300 665 356 to get started. We’re experts at helping patients find appropriate life insurance, trauma insurance, total & permanent disability cover, and income protection insurance for special and difficult conditions.
Liver Disease in Australia
According to the Australian Liver Foundation (ALA), there are around six million Australians who have (or have had) some form of liver, bile duct, or gall bladder disease. The organisation also mentions that over 7,000 Australians die every year from these diseases. As far as organ transplantations go, around 3,000 Australian children and adults have had successful liver transplants, with ongoing care and maintenance required to prevent organ rejection and relapse of the disease.
The Australian Institute of Health and Welfare also notes that liver disease served as the 11th leading cause of premature death among Australians from 2010-2012, with it causing two out of three premature deaths in 2012.
Also, according to a study on the economic cost and health burden of liver disease in Australia (Jan, 2013) funded by the Gastroenterological Society of Australia (GESA) and the Australian Liver Foundation, as much as $1.9 billion in lifetime earnings was estimated to have been lost due to premature death from liver disease.
Given this data, liver disease and liver disorders are clearly serious health conditions that Australians must protect themselves against as much as possible. Not only can they impair the lives of those affected by these conditions, but it can also impact the health and productivity of the country’s general population.
Click here for more information regarding obtaining life insurance or income protection with an existing medical condition.
Why Choose Special Risk Managers
Liver disorders and life insurance may not always go together, but it’s not impossible to get the coverage you need even with this condition. As Australia’s leading experts in finding life insurance for those with serious medical conditions, we’ll help you find your best options available no matter how severe your liver disorder may be. Whether you’re after a comprehensive life insurance plan or coverage for income protection, trauma insurance, or TPD insurance, our specialists will help you get what you need.
At Special Risk Managers, we’ll see to it that having a liver disorder won’t stop you from getting the protection you need for you and your family. With our expertise in life insurance and our wide network of industry partners, we can find options for those whom standard insurance companies often reject. In fact, several insurance companies turn to us regularly for help in finding insurance options for their high-risk clients.
Call 1300 665 356 today to get in touch with one of our life insurance specialists. If you’d like to find out more about what we can do for you, please feel free to contact us anytime.